Find the Best Essay Hook Examples in Our Guide!
Do you understand why it is so important to know how to write great essay hook examples? Well, when you are looking for something to read, you can understand from the very first lines if the particular book or article is worth your attention. Ironically, an article can be very interesting but an inappropriately written beginning will make the reader put it away. What you need to grab your reader’s attention is called “a hook.” Being able to start your essay with a good hook, you will have higher chances to make a good impression on your reader.
Now, let us assume that you have written your essay and now you want to add something that would make it stand out from the crowd. What would it be? The answer is on the surface. To get interested in your essay, your reader should be engaged from the very beginning. By writing a boring essay/article/etc., you will never reach the desired goals. Therefore, it is particularly important to know how to spark interest in your readers.
Benefit from our service: Save 25%
Along with the first order offer - 15% discount (with the code order15off), you save extra 10% since we provide 300 words/page instead of 275 words/page
Have you ever heard about a 20-second rule? According to this rule, the reader is able to understand subconsciously if the text is worth reading within the first 20 seconds. Only imagine! By making the first 20 seconds of reading interesting and compelling, you will make a good impression on your intended audience, which will enable you to get a good outcome. So, if you ask “How many sentences in a hook” we will say “Just 1-2 sentences will be enough to create a perfect hook.” Yes, if you are writing an academic paper, your professor will read it until the end regardless of how interesting it is. However, if you are willing to create an article that will be published in a blog, you will need to think about the ways that will help you make this article maximally interesting for your reader.
Need Some Help with Writing a Hook for an Essay? Follow Our Suggestions!
Writing a hook for an essay can be pretty easy if you know the main rules. Below, you will find some secrets that will enable you to make up a perfect hook for your paper. If you want to figure out the main reasons to write a perfect hook for an essay, find these reasons below:
- A perfect hook can heat your readers’ interest. If you manage to do it right, they will read the whole piece;
- It allows keeping the tension on the right level. You can just use an intriguing or thought-provoking question, and a reader will eager to find out the answer;
- It demonstrates your skills. A well-formulated hook presents you as an expert in your field;
- It enables you to attract an audience. Only those readers who are your intended audience will keep reading your paper;
- It turns a simple introduction into a brilliant one. Starting your essay with a boring or shallow fact is not a good idea. At the same time, an interesting fact will burn the interest of your reader making them move in the direction that was chosen by you.
If you want to have more information on how to make a good hook sentence for an essay, feel free to have a closer look at our examples.
Find Some Good Hook Sentences Examples
Below, you will find many good hook sentence examples that will help you boost your writing proficiency. The types of hook sentences included in our article are categorized for your convenience. Read our suggestions attentively and you will figure out how to write a good hook sentence properly.
Interesting Question Hook
As it is clear from its title, an interesting question hook aims to provide the target audience with a question related to the topic of an essay. By asking such a question, you will help your reader understand that your essay gives an answer to this question. This hook is very effective because almost all people have inquisitive nature. When they hear a question and do not get an answer to it, they will try to look for this answer. As such, if you decide to start an essay with a good question, you will spark interest in your readers. Find some examples of hook sentences below:
- What is the main purpose of human existence?
- Have you ever heard about the negative consequences of TV shows?
- Do you remember your childhood with all your ups and downs?
- Are there any benefits of being lonely?
- Have you ever wondered why so many people adore traveling?
- What is the real meaning of being kind-hearted?
- What would happen if Romeo and Juliette lived nowadays?
- Have you ever thought about the contribution that was made by Elon Musk to the contemporary space industry?
- What if someone tells you that global warming is not a problem?
- Can you imagine the best ways for the world’s recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic?
Rhetorical Question Hook
Not all questions can be answered. You probably know that there is a type of question that is called rhetoric. But do you know that a rhetoric question can be a brilliant hook for your essay? This fact can be easily explained. These questions are usually related to topics that have been bothering people for ages. By your rhetorical question, you may ask about love, loneliness, friendship, revenge, ethical values, etc. Have a look at some good examples of rhetorical questions below:
- Can playing a violent game have a significant impact on a child’s behavior?
- What is the meaning of love?
- What makes a good leader? Is a true leader born with their qualities?
- Children are better than adults, aren’t they?
- Do you wish to live forever?
- Why does a person feel lonely having a family?
- Why the perception of death is different in different cultures?
- What does it mean to be a happy person?
- Why people have stopped arguing about evolution?
- Would you be able to survive without money?
Strong Declaration Hook
If you are a skilled writer, you probably know that a strong statement is one of the most practical techniques that is used by writers to grab the readers’ attention. A strong claim allows the writer to ensure the value of the entire work. Below, you will find good examples of strong
- Dealing with insecurity is the new business strategy that has emerged as a result of COVID-19;
- In just a couple of years we will be able to have pet bots with artificial intelligence;
- The consequences of global warming are irreversible unless people start acting now;
- The chances are high that by 2050 marriages between humans and robots will become legal and widespread;
- Innovation should become a part of a business philosophy because clients change faster than companies;
- Indian cinema is the most popular genre of film in the last 100 years that has significantly shaped modern cinema;
- Steve Jobs is the most passionate and result-oriented explorer;
- The BLM movement was inevitable;
- The wars for vaccines: we should face the new realms of the 21 st century;
- Online education is more successful than traditional one.
- $10.95Get an order prepared
by Top 10 writers
- $9.99Get VIP
- $3.99Get an order Proofread
- $2.00Get extended
- $3.00Get SMS
- $5.99PDF PLAGIARISM REPORT
If you manage to use some metaphor or a simile as your hook, you will convince your readers that your topic is unique and interesting. For example, a successful simile will make readers wonder what the author was trying to say. If you look through the well-written essays, you will see that their authors often include metaphors and similes as it is a great instrument for grabbing the reader’s attention. The following examples will help you understand how to begin an essay with a simile or a metaphor. Use them for boosting your writing talent and you will be able to begin your essay properly:
- The recipe is absolutely easy – you just need to take a cup of self-respect, a cup of good health, two cups of love, a couple of positive experiences, and mix it all to get a state of happiness;
- There is no excuse for you to away from the point into the dark woods of gibberish;
- Writing a dissertation without appropriate skills is like chasing a wolf without proper weapons;
- When life gives you a lemon, make sure to use to make lemonade;
- Her eyes were like two stars that teased me;
- SEO is the light of my life – it allows me to make my blog articles more structured, clear, and detailed;
- He was as lonely as an abandoned house in the street;
- She was annoying just like a baby shark;
- His blog is a magnet that pulls people to purchase his services;
- I always told Alison that her boyfriend was a rat.
When using a quote of an acknowledged person as a hook for your essay, you will need to make it match the topic you are working with. Also, you will need to make some connections between the essay you are writing and the personality of the author of the quote. Indeed, the quote hooks are particularly effective because wise people have always expressed thought-provoking ideas:
- “Education is the greatest weapon that can be used by a person to improve the world.” Nelson Mandela
- “None of the business achievements are accomplished by a single person; a team of skilled and talented members from diversified fields is always needed.” Steve Jobs
- “The best way to prepare for tomorrow is to do your best today.” H. Jackson Brown
- “The future belongs to an individual who prepares for it today.” Malcolm X
- “If you think you can do a thing or think you cannot do a thing, you are right.” Henry Ford.
- “To be irreplaceable, one should be different.” Coco Chanel
- “I am not afraid of the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I am afraid of the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” Bruce Lee
- “Life is what happens to the individual while he or she is busy making other plans.” John Lennon
- Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
- “If you judge people, you will not have time to love them.” Mother Teresa
Participate in our Affiliate Program and begin earning money!
Share our service with your friends and get 10% from every order they place LEARN MORE
Statistics/Interesting Fact Hook
To begin your essay well, you will need to include some facts from trusted sources. If you have noticed an interesting statistical fact that matches the topic of your paper, you may include it in your introduction as it will enable you to engage your reader. Facts and statistical data are greathook sentences because they provide the reader with real information about the topic. At the same time, you should understand that the facts you include in your essay should be maximally accurate, clear. and interesting. By including a fact that is not relevant, you will not be able to reach your goals. Below, you will find some good-looking statistic hook examples.
- It is hard to believe but ketchup was being sold as medicine;
- The studies show that approximately 25% of dreams blind people have are nightmares.
- According to recent research, 99% of all the species that have ever lived on our planet are now extinct;
- The war between Sicily and Netherlands that waged from 1651 to 1986 is considered the longest war in world history;
- The studies show that over 36% of mobile subscribers use iPhones or iPads to read emails;
- Even though people started space exploration in the 21st century, around 3 billion people live in poverty.
- Leonardo da Vinci had a unique talent for writing with one hand and painting with another at the same time.
- According to statistical data, people lie in each one out of five conversations lasting for more than 10 minutes
- In the US, 50% of the marriages end up in divorce
- 80% of Soviet men born in 1922 did not survive the second world war.
An anecdote is a brief story relevant to the topic that aims to gain the readers’ attention. This story can derive from the author’s imagination or experience. Very often, an anecdote has a humorous nature making the reader laugh and want to read more. When you are writing a formal academic paper, this hook is not acceptable, however, when you are writing a narrative, descriptive, or an admission essay, you are free to use such a hook as it is a good attention grabber. Please, note that such a hook is typically longer than just one sentence. Therefore, if your paper should be very short, it is recommended to choose another hook. Have a look at some examples of anecdotal hooks below:
- Underestimating the power of raccoons will ruin your life! These furry animals that may look pretty cute are particularly smart and evil. If they see a small box of pizza outside your house, the disaster will begin. When they smell your delicious pizza, they see no obstacles on their way;
- If I were paid a dollar for every time it was cold here, I could afford to live in a warmer place;
- All people talk about the weather, but none of us can do anything about it;
- There is no need to take life seriously. After all, you will never get out of it alive;
- I decided to stop fighting my inner demons because it turned out we are on the same side;
- They say women can do three things out of nothing: a scandal, a haircut, and a tragedy;
- It would not be John if he did not do something weird, so he took a ticket and went towards new adventures;
- For my little sister, this little trip was another reason to annoy me;
- If you want to stay healthy, you need to calculate the number of calories in your pizza;
- Food, water, and compliments are three main things any woman cannot live without.
We do hope that our hook sentence ideas will help you create a good hook for your paper. If you want your essay to be engaging and interesting from the very first lines, we strongly recommend you not to underestimate the importance of a good hook. As you can see, writing a hook sentence requires some creativity and a professional approach. However, you can easily do it by focusing on the topic of your essay and trying to understand what can be interesting for your reader.
Top 10 writers
Hire a Top Writer
Your order will be assigned to the most experienced writer in the relevant discipline. The highly demanded expert, one of our top-10 writers with the highest rate among the customers
How to Write a Hook for an Essay? Common Tips
Do you have no idea how to write a hook for an essay? Below, you will find a couple of efficient tips that will help you come up with an impressive hook. Just be attentive and you will be able to significantly improve your writing skills by learning how to write the best examples of hook sentences:
- Pay attention that the title of your paper is your first hook. This means that writing an appropriate title for your essay is as important as a good hook. You may write a title when the entire essay is written as it will allow you to make it match the content of your paper. In other words, you should keep in mind that before your hook statement, the title of your essay is your first opportunity to grab the attention of your reader, thus you need to appeal to their emotions or use the surprising combination of words;
- Push your reader into the middle of the action. When you are supposed to create a hook statement for your essay, a good piece of advice is to start your writing with an action-packed event. This strategy is particularly efficient because it will enable your reader to feel the energy of your essay. Besides, it will enable them to feel the intrigue that will make them read the rest of your paper;
- Create a connection with your reader at the emotional level. If your essay does not seem action-packed, you may consider hooking your target audience with some emotional scene. For instance, you may include the emotional response of one of your characters to make your reader want to understand what has motivated the character to respond in such away. As soon as your reader feels the emotional state of your character, they will get hooked. If it is appropriate, you may need to write a personal story by establishing emotional relationships with your reader;
- Make some surprising statement. It is always great to begin your essay with some unexpected or controversial statement that will make your target audience want to read the rest of your essay. Pay attention that your hook should be closely related to your thesis statement. This means that your hook is not a separate part of your essay but just a claim that may make your reader engaged in what you are writing;
- Leave your reader with questions. A vast majority of hooking techniques say that your reader wants to answer questions. The best hook sentences for essays should make the readers want to guess the motivations of your characters, as well as their backstories;
- Do not combine your hook with a description. A hook is always very brief. No matter how you are going to engage your reader, you should not forget about the rule of 20 seconds, which says that you have only 20 seconds to engage your reader. As such, by adding too many details or meaningless information into your hook, you will fail your task. This means that you need to focus on the most important information when writing your hook statement. What is more, you should know that your introductory paragraph is the perfect place to put your hook;
- Once you have engaged your reader, make sure to keep their attention. If you are a professional writer, then you probably know that even the best hook sentences will not enable you to create a good essay. Of course, a hook is very important for making your reader interested in what you are writing but the other parts of your essay are important as well.
All in all, we assure you that by following our handy tips, as well as studying our hook examples, you will be able to figure out how to write a hook sentence. However, if you are afraid that you will not be able to come up with a good hook, as well as write the rest of your essay properly, you should get in touch with our reputed writing service and we will do our best to provide you with an impeccable piece. For many years, we have been helping our customers reach their academic goals by providing them with brilliant academic papers of different kinds.